Robin's Nest

Monday, March 21, 2011

Follow

Spring is here! Groundhog Day seems like only yesterday. Okay, that is a stretch. To celebrate the occasion we took a drive on Sunday. Not a long drive, but long enough to notice how beautiful the day was. God had given us a wonderful Sunday and enjoying it was meant to be.
It was a very different drive then we endured six months earlier. On that occasion it was going to be a very long drive. Two people, two cars and too many, many miles to go. While one person drove ahead, the other followed. It worked and two days later we arrived safe and sound.
I think back often to the advice my driving instructor gave me forty-five years ago. He said; “The only way you can avoid accidents’ is to have your hands on the wheel and your eyes straight ahead almost all the time.” I still hear his words echoing in my head. Great advise? Absolutely. In all this time I have yet to have an accident from what’s in front of me.
It is also good advice in our faith and in our churches. Keep your hands on the wheel and your eyes straight ahead. My bible tells me that I am to follow Him. Following means that I am behind the one who knows not only the way but also the road ahead. Jesus said, “I am the way, the truth the life.”
I know that someone out there is thinking, what about the mirrors. Some more counsel from my instructor. “Use the mirrors all the time but only for brief moments just so you know what’s happening around you.” Life can be filled with similar moments that make us readily aware of where we are in life and what is happening around us. But they are only moments. You see, we are on a journey. We are going somewhere and that somewhere involves following, and looking ahead.
As Christ followers we are to be, “Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith.” We are to follow Him, individually as well as collectively. We are all on the same path. Look around and see all the others who are on the same journey, but keep you eyes on the one you follow.
“I will follow Him
Follow Him wherever He may go”. . .
Something to think about.
Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home