Robin's Nest

Monday, January 17, 2011

Something New

Don’t you just love getting something new? I was thinking of this lately as I started to put everything away after Christmas. Couple of things in the office, one in the kitchen, one in the livingroom and a few in the bedroom drawer and closets.
Just when I thought everything was away, my daughter came in to give me something else. It was a new phone. Well, not exactly new. It was a model that has had three updates. It still was really cool. You see, I have been told I should get with the program and get rid of my paper day planner. The easiest solution was to get a phone that can do everything for me. So here it is.
In the two minutes my daughter had to show me what to do with it, I learned almost nothing. I learned how to turn it on and off. It wasn’t her fault. It was mine. It is hard to get your mind around things you have never done before. This phone can do everything I needed it to and then some. I don’t need it all but it’s there if I every do. Even has a flash for taking pictures and movies. There, I don’t need to carry my camera anymore.
Welcome to the future I was told. I believe I have come up to the new generation, if just that I carry something they carry. And once I get to learn what I can actually do with it, things will be wonderful. That is until they come up with something newer that I just can’t live without.
But is that true? The difficulty is, I am getting old and my brain doesn’t think like young people. It takes time to get in gear most mornings and working the computer for what I need it to do is okay, to a point. Now don’t get me wrong. I love learning new things. Just last week I read Garfield and he said in the three frames; “I hate change . . . I didn’t used to . . . but I’ve changed.” That’s not me.
You see I read all the stuff that the transition church is involved in and it’s great and wonderful. Everything in our world is changing very quickly. And for us old guys, we realize the church needs to as well. We need to take the truth of scripture and move it forward with our society to where the young people can relate. We don’t need to change it but to keep it current. I was asked one time, "What decade is your church in right now?" For some it is still in the 70's, or even earlier.
Christ is relevant to everyone in every situation in every generation. My bible says that He is the same, yesterday, today and forever. And that my friends is in relationship with His children and not the methods. Maybe us old guys and gals need to show our children and grandchildren a God who knows how to take care of their hurts and their insecurities. Life is not easy anymore, for us and especially younger people. When we need someone, He walks with us where we are. When our children need Him, He is also there for them in their world. He knows how to help and He can probably work my phone really well.
Something to think about.
Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home