Robin's Nest

Monday, November 15, 2010

Someone's In Your Life


When I was just a wee little sprout, our family would go off every year to Embro for the family picnic. We had so much fun playing with all the cousins and second cousins and third cousins and . . . well you get the idea. There were games and prizes and candy, the cows, wild cats and so much more. For us city kids it was a new adventure. The whole tribe looked forward with anticipation to our gathering every year. When my aunt passed away a good number of years ago I was able to obtain some of her photos and there in the box were pictures of early reunions in the 1930's at the Logan’s. One special year we even had mugs made up, “50th Annual Major Reunion”
You will know what I mean when I say another significant part of every reunion was so much food! Coming from a family of six, this was opportunity to chow down. And dig in we did. I believe it was there that I fell in love with lemon meringue pie.
But there was more to the day. Beyond all the stuff for kids were the aunts, uncles, grandparents, great aunts and great uncles. We knew most, if not all of them by name and loved everyone. As most children do, we had our favourite one. Mine at the reunions was Uncle Ed Major, grandmas’ brother. I don’t remember much about him, but I do remember him fondly and I can still close my eyes today and see his face. I would go running up to him as soon as I saw him. He would be there near the back of the house with his siblings, listening to the chatter as he sat in his webbed aluminum folding lawn chair. It was there that he would put his arm around my waist and ask me, “How are you.” I would talk for a bit and then we would just be there arm in arm for a long while without saying a word. Maybe I loved him so much because we are so much alike. I didn’t know that then but I know it now. He was in my life for a little while and I love him.
You too have memories like that. Memories of people, who no matter how long they were part of your life, leave an indelible mark on your heart. I know another who also is leaving a mark on our lives and heart. He is one I have known for a while. For those of us who know Christ, we could say, we have known Him all your lives. And others of our number are just getting to know Him. I believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that it matters not how long we have known Him, just that we do. In the back of my mind I have this unusual feeling that to know Him longer is to love Him more. Get to know Him now and spend the rest of your life getting to know Him better. He too will put His loving arm around you and ask, “How are you?”
“He is here, listen closely
Hear Him calling out your name
He is here, you can touch Him
You will never be the same”
Something to think about
Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home