Robin's Nest

Monday, November 22, 2010

Arrivals

I believe one of the most wonderfully happy places on earth is the arrival’s area of any airport. It is such a delight to stand in a crowd of people, waiting for someone to arrive. Years ago it happened on railway station platforms and at boat docks in places like New York City and Montreal. Today it happens millions of times each day at a multitude of airports world wide. The stories that I see as I look out over the heads of the people gathered is part of our everyday lives. And in many cases it is so wonderful to see.
As I stood waiting for my own arrivals at Tampa this past month, I took the time to watch people meeting and being met by loved ones. There was the young family with strollers in hand along with all the items it takes when you travel with two toddlers. Or the little girl running and being scooped up into grandpas’ arms. Some young women looking through the crowd for that one familiar face. When their eyes meet, the smile was a mile wide and the embrace again, brought back other memories of years gone by. In the few moments that I stood there, this scenario was played out over and over, with young and old alike.
It also reminded me of my first trip to Tampa. At the time I didn’t know where I was or what I was to encounter. Coming into the main lobby from the plane I did what most people do, look around for a familiar face. Something caught my eye and it was four people sitting side by side smiling. These people looked like hillbillies on vacation in Hawaii, with the loud shirts and straw hats. Yes, there were the four I was expecting to see, but not so flashy with their attire. Again, the smiles and hugs prevailed.
Back to those latest arrivals. The expression on their faces, gave me pause to wonder if this is an image of what is to come for each one of us. Is this what we will be experiencing as we come into heaven? When we cross to the other side, will we be looking out over a sea of faces, or will we arrive to see all those we have loved, assembled just to meet us? Or will we just want to see Jesus. If it is, the words of this song need to echo in our hearts every day:
I can only imagine what it will be like, when I walk by Your side . . .
I can only imagine, what my eyes will see, when Your Face is before me!
I can only imagine. I can only imagine.
Surrounded by Your Glory, what will my heart feel?
Will I dance for you, Jesus? Or in awe of You, be still?
Will I stand in Your presence, or to my knees will I fall?
Will I sing 'Hallelujah!'? Will I be able to speak at all?
I can only imagine! I can only imagine!
But then again, wouldn’t the arrivals areas be a beautiful image of what we should be seeing every time we walk into church?
Something to think about
Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home