Robin's Nest

Monday, May 31, 2010

Where's The Bread?

I think seagulls are strange birds. Most of the time they soar way above all the other birds. Well, that is if you live in the city. At the beach it’s different. There they come down low most of the time. At other times they walk or run along the beach looking for hand outs. We call them scavengers. Most have probably lost their natural instincts to search for a meal. But that would again be the gulls that stay close to people.
Three incidents come to mind when I think of gulls. When the girls were young, we went up to Tobermory and ventured out for a ride on the Chi Cheemaun. While on the ship, we had a snack of french fries. After having our fill the girls would hold a fry in their hand and the gulls would come swooping down and pick it off. The youngest one was afraid they might nip her finger thinking it was a fry.
The second incident happened at the wonderful beach town of Port Dover. We had gone there to enjoy the water, get a tan and eat a dog at The Arbor. Being older, gulls bothered me at the beach so I would scare them away. I scared one of those pesky gulls away when I threw sand at it. It climbed up and up and I lay back down on the blanket only in time to see the same gull drop something white and it landed on my chest. Not to worry, there was lots of water to wash it off. And besides I used someone else’s towel to wipe it off.
The last think about gulls is the noise they make. I have been trying to figure it out. Do they scream to let the others know there is food to be had or are they trying to scare the others away from their freshly found food? I think the later. Maybe it has something to do with the survival of the fittest. They see food and they don’t want to share. Maybe its first come first served?
To us humans, we are far removed from this attitude. Most of us would give the shirt off our back to someone who is in need. We as Canadians can be proud that we are known for being one of the most generous people in the world. Remember I said one of.
But do you know what. I think Christians the world over have everyone beat. True Christ followers are complete opposites of those pesky birds. As Steve Brown say tells us over and over, “We are one-beggar telling another beggar where we found bread.”
Jesus said, “I am the bread of life.”
Something to think about.
Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home