Robin's Nest

Monday, April 05, 2010

Something Bigger Then You and I

The calendar tells me Lent is over. We have gone through Good Friday, which I just learned used to be called God’s Friday. Then we woke early on Easter Morning and found that Jesus was still here. He is alive. Not was, but is. The most important celebration of the Christian calendar is over. Holy Week has passed so they tell us we can take up what you gave up. Or should we? I just read that Easter Eggs were a creation of the church way back in five hundred something. As a symbol of new life, the Pope at that time had everyone give up eggs for Lent. Then you could have the treat of an egg on Easter morning. Our forty days have ended and we now ask ourselves, how’d I do? It could have been forty days of examination. But let’s forget about giving up something for Lent. It’s over and to do it for two or three more days really doesn’t count any more. Or does it? We did try didn’t we. We did. We really did try to . . . well, I did!
Or did I? If I tried to accomplish the giving up and removing something of a negative nature . . . I wonder if that really works. Years ago I was told that if you do something for 21 days, it becomes a habit. Well the opposite should also apply, shouldn’t it? Now just follow this thought along with me. If we add something of a positive nature to our lives, isn’t that a giving up? We are giving up something to a positive habit? I mentioned this before. Start doing something good and by it’s very nature it’s . . .
Then ask yourself, why do we do this in the first place? Is it so we can say, Hey, listen up, I did it? How many of you have, in your own strength given something up? Like cigarettes, or chocolate, or any number of things. Was it easy? Did you stick to it or did you ask for help? Or did you fail? Any diet program encourages us to have someone to cheer us on. Years ago, I wrote to a wonderful young lady some words of encouragement. I wrote what I really felt and I knew she would know the words were true. I said, “No matter what you do in life, you have the ability to accomplish anything you put your mind to. And as you do, and as you race through life, look over to the stands. There you will find me there, smiling and cheering you on. Don’t stop, keep going.”
What does it take to move forward? To carry on with the thoughts and changes of Lent? I believe it takes more then cheer leaders, or coaches or even incentives. It takes placing our hand into someone’s hand and going on. Sometimes, like the daily walk through Lent, I might lose my focus and dwell on other things. It is then that we need to take hold of His hand once more. Our journey through life will not always be easy. And yet it can be easier when we cease running alone. Then and only then will we find ourselves running in the footsteps of someone bigger then you or I.
He lights the way when the road is long
He keeps you company
And with His love to guide you
He walks beside you
Just like He walks with me
Somebody bigger then you and I
Something to think about
Robin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home