Robin's Nest

Monday, March 08, 2010

Out Walking

There are two types of walks you can go on. One leads you somewhere and the other takes you around in circles. There are some malls around our area that open early for “walkers.” They open their doors, turn on the lights and give opportunity to people, mostly older retired people, to get some exercise. Day after day, week after week, they go around and around and around. This is a wonderful thing for them to do considering the outside temperature of our Canadian climate. But then again, it’s been cold in Florida as well this winter.
I have noticed two things that happen when they are walking. While some people walk and talk lap after lap, others can’t do two things at once. I think it has something to do with being able to either walk or talk. Maybe something to do with catching your breath.
It’s fascinating to see them go, lap after lap. I did notice that some pace themselves while others are in it to see how many people they can out pace and lap. Remember that they are all going - nowhere.
Then there are the people who walk to arrive somewhere. I noticed a couple of people who walked to church yesterday. They lived near the church and made it under their own power. As I thought about it, I wondered what the difference is between walking for fun and walking for a reason. Both give us something and both give us a destination, in life or in fitness.
And they’re in lies the truth. We walk to reach that destination, physical or imaginary. And both have their rewards.
Life to me is a long walk and a long walk home. My bible tells me that this world is not my home. Jesus said he is going before me to prepare a place for me that I can enjoy for eternity. In the movie Paint Your Wagon, Lee Marvin sings these lines. “Home is made for comin’ from, For dreams of goin’ to.” How true. We have come from God and we are going back. Do you know where you are going? My bible tells me I am going home. Let’s walk together.
And talk if we can. The song says it all. Going home to see my Saviour, going home to meet a friend . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home