Robin's Nest

Monday, May 03, 2010

It's Me Against The World

Nature is a beautiful thing. Don’t you agree? It seems like all around us there is something more to see. Something more to notice. Something you may have never seen before. Take for instance the beach trees in our front yard. In one day they came into full leaf from nothing. Extraordinary. Or looking inside the tulip cup. Amazing. Some of us can not only see it but capture it in pictures like Ernie.
While out driving on the hwy. a number of days ago I was distracted from the task at hand by two birds. One was a hawk and the other seemed to be a sparrow. I assume the hawk was in the neighbourhood looking for dinner. And that dinner would be a fresh sparrows egg. The sparrow would have none of it.
So, for a lengthy period of time the sparrow would dive down onto the hawk and peck at his head. Without blinking an eye my mind immediately went to the David and Goliath scenario. The size alone would have you guess the Hawk would have the upper hand. We may all have seen this play out before. But this time the sparrow kept diving onto the hawk time after time. And this hawk just never flew off somewhere else. I don’t know if it was his reluctance to give up on getting dinner or that he just was hoping the sparrow would give up and fly away or he was dumb enough to keep taking it. Think about that in your life. . .
Time after time, one dive after another and it went on and on and on. Well I kept driving and turned my attention back to what I should have been doing. As I drove on, leaving those two to work out their difference far away in the rearview mirror, I realized that what I saw is mirrored in our lives.
We are not big, even though we think we are on the top of the food chain. Our world is filled with sin that, as the bible reiterates about sin that so easily besets us. Or as another translation puts it, entangles us. My mind then went to the question of childhood. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.
For us, what we really need to do is to take a lesson from the sparrow. Keep at it. One peck at a time. One small victory and another victory will move us forward and before we know it, the hawk will be gone and life will be as wonderful as God always intended it.
God sees the little sparrow fall,
It meets His tender view.
If God so loves the little things,
I know He loves me to.
Something to think about
Robin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home