Robin's Nest

Sunday, June 21, 2009

The year was probably 1953. As I remember it, all my siblings were in school that day. Even my older brother had graduated from home to school and kindergarten. It was just mom and I. Well, for most of the day that is. It was a warm late spring afternoon. Summer was coming and we just had to look out the door to see the green grass and leaves on the tree. The world to this young life was filled with wonder and adventure just like every four-year-old would see at any time and so many other places. It was great to be alive and have all the toys to myself that afternoon.
And just as if it was yesterday, I remember my grandfather coming over to talk to his daughter, my mom. Now a child of four doesn’t hear what adults are saying when such an exciting event is happening all around them. Grandpa was here and, and, and I would get to talk to him.
This last week in church I shared with the people what I started with. That children see everything as a new experience. They have never been here before and life throws at us wonderful times and places. There were aunts, uncles, cousins, neighbours, grandparents, even friends of your parents, and places!
On that day I can only remember a brief moment of my young impressionable age. Back then, we lived in an age when two things reigned supreme in family life. You know what they were but I will put it down for younger readers who were never there. Children were to be seen and . . . you got it, and not heard. The second, children were not to speak until they are spoken to.
As I sat there waiting to talk to him, I looked up into his eyes, looked at his face and waited, and waited taking in all the characteristics of his face. I remember looking at the glasses, moustache, wrinkles, a smile, and shiny large forehead. All the time he was taking I remember his hand on me and me holding his hand. Almost ready to burst, holding myself back, I waited, and then, he faced me and smiled.
How much more are we awaiting the moment when we look into the face of Jesus just like the little children whom He called saying, “Suffer the little children to come unto me . . . ” That moment, when in the twinkling of an eye, we are transformed from this world to the next and we get to see his face. And to hear His voice call us by name saying, “Well done, good and faithful servant, come into your rest.” Will you see His face, hear His voice? Give your heart to Him today and that day will come.
Something to think about
Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home