Robin's Nest

Monday, July 18, 2011

Something Of Value?

You know where it is. It doesn’t matter if you have a place for everything and everything in its place or you are someone who sets things down and you remember right where you put them. You know exactly where it is. Well, most of the time anyway. A number of months ago, one of the kids asked for something. I knew I had a few of them. Going out to the garage, thinking on the way, it didn’t take long to find them and bring them out in the light of day. The article was one of those pieces most men put away as we say to ourselves, “I will keep that because I will need it some day.” Those someday articles might be the downfall of all Home Depots in North America. That is, if we could find them as readily as I found the hinges. That brings another thought to mind. How often then not do we not find what we are looking for? Been looking for another article for a couple of months now and this week will be the week I find it. And that is because I don’t need it now. Like many, I’m on a downsizing kick right now. Time to clear out the stuff that has not been used for more than 15 years. I have a building at the back of the yard that is full of someday stuff. Over the last few weeks some of them have found new homes and others have been introduced to the round file. Forget the garage sale, I just post them on Kijiji and away they go. In this quest, there are other articles that have been forgotten about for so long, it’s like a treasure hunt finding things we never remember were there. That would have to be another part misplacing things. Don’t get me wrong, but there is no hoarder in this home. In my bible I am reminded of the person who lost a coin. They went looking for it and couldn’t find it. So they cleaned the whole house until they found it. As a child I thought it was a cute story when the teacher told us we could not lose our faith in Jesus, He is always there. We just have to look for Him and we will find him. As an adult we have a different perspective. We recognize all that it entails to clean house, to find that one thing of great value and to appreciate it. I have a small nickel my grandfather gave to me when I was little. It’s one of the ones that are smaller then a dime. It is of great value to me for two reasons. First, because it’s from grandpa and secondly because he engraved the Lord’s Prayer on the one side. Can’t read it any more without using my glasses. But I know it’s there, I know where it is and the words are not just on the coin, but also in my heart. And there they are never lost.

Something to think about
. Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home