Robin's Nest

Monday, September 13, 2010

It's Growing!

It was time. I know it was time. Just the other night we found something in the fridge, back behind everything else and out of sight, that has been there too long. No, it wasn’t growing but it could have been used for a science project by any eighth grader. At first I didn’t want to touch it. It was definitely past the best before dates. When I realized it was wrapped in a plastic wrap, I knew it was safe to pick up. I almost went for a pair of those yellow gloves women put on when they clean the oven . . . No. I won’t look in the oven today.
This one item told me it was time to clean the fridge. Most of you do this and the fridge is not too bad until you have company over and there are lots of left overs that become forgotten. Your routine is probably the same as mine; take out the bottles and put them in one place, all the containers of other food on another counter and anything left like fruits and veggies on another. Those items with some dubious origins, are placed somewhere else.
With everything out of the fridge it’s easy to climb in and wash everything down. I think all this came about because of a program we watched a couple of weeks back that mentioned that some fridges have more things growing in them then any other room in the house.
When the washing is all done, we begin to put all the good things back in. Dates are checked, items tossed and we arrange items by category. Even though you know it all changes as soon as you open the door next time.
Sometimes all of us need to clear out our lives. It comes along at turning points in our lives. When we move past where we have been and move into a new phase of life. It could be where we move from teen to adult, from single to married, no kids to kids, climbing the ladder of success to realizing the climb is not always worth the effort. It even happens the day after Labour Day. There are also times when we do this in our spiritual lives. Paul writes, “I press on.” Growing in Christ is part of cleaning away, as Steve Brown puts it; “ridding ourselves of the lies of the world.” In my bible I read about going beyond eating just milk, to taking in solid food. It’s another removal of what was good at one time to what is good for us now. I remember thinking about this and thinking it may mean leaving the leftovers behind and moving into a new and greater depth in Christ. Moving from Jesus Loves Me to Jesus died for my sins. And it happens when we desire to know Him better.
Something to think about.
RB

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home