Robin's Nest

Monday, July 05, 2010

Heat Of A Different Kind

Are you warm yet? Or are you dodging the heat by planning your day around air conditioned places. Like going from the house to the car to the mall to the car to the house. For the young people life would be unbearable without the air conditioning. Me, I never had air in my car until I bought the one I am now driving. Oh, and I like it!
It wasn’t too many years back where it was considered a luxury not just in cars but in homes as well. I sold one house very quickly because it had central air. Not that we used it, but the younger couple moving in, bought because it was there. It is something people can’t live without today, or so it seems. The next home we lived in did not have central air but we saved up and bought a used window air-conditioner for the kitchen window being we almost lived in that room.
Here comes one of those stories we said we would never tell. When I was young! To cool off, we slept outside. Too hot in the house, go outside and sleep. That is if there are no pesky mosquitoes to attack us. Our generation bought fans. Remember them? Heavy, cumbersome things all because manufacturers thought then needed to be heavy so they wouldn’t take off or something. They only had one speed and not much of a guard on them. Why a young child could put their whole hand in there and get it chopped off. Not really but it looks like you could.
At Dofasco where I worked many years’ back they would put large blocks of ice in front of fans to cool the workers off. Life was different then. We did what we could and learned to take things in stride. No matter what was thrown at us.
Yes life is different now. Most kids have no idea what it is like to be hot and the only way to cool off was the garden hose. Today they have different types of heat. Each generation has its own trials. This is my theory. Each generation has its own heat to deal with. Each with its own irritations, its own problems and its own extreme heat. Some of the difficulties I hear children have to deal today, makes me realize how well we had it. I don’t remember too many bullies when I was a kid. I didn’t have to worry about getting emails that threaten . . . I didn’t have to worry about wearing the right thing and going to the right places and saying the right things. We didn’t have to worry about going to a party that would get crashed by a bunch of kids who carried knives and guns. Today’s heat is different.
And because it is different, we need to step forward into the lives of our children, grandchildren and help them make it through a heat wave of live.
I’m glad Jesus said to me, and He has said it to every generation; “I am with you always . . . ” even when the heat is on. Oh, and being a friend of Jesus is very cool.
Something to think about.
Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home