Robin's Nest

Monday, September 15, 2008

I Was On His Mind

Do you have a routine that you follow? I’m not talking about a daily one where you get up, clean up, dress up, and moves onto the next item on your to do list. I’m thinking more of our weekly routine. What takes up your week, what are the important things to be involved in this week? A good number of years ago I knew a fellow who itemized his meals according to rhyme. Here are a few, Tuesday Tuna, Wednesday Weiner, and my favourite, Friday Fish Sticks. Not really my favourite. This family had their week down scheduled well. Well, that was until the kids came along and wanted more then ground-up something. Never did find out what they had on Monday.
Most of our weeks are dictated by what we do as routine and this means that the “stuff” we really want to do is pushed to the side by must do items. Kids have lessons, this day and that. Church is Sunday morning but then we . . . You can fill in the blanks. Actually most of us have calendars on the fridge or by the back door, PDA’s or even day planners. All of these are there to help us get through the week without missing an appointment or even someone’s birthday.
Yesterday I was talking with someone who gave up his day planner for the convenience of a blackberry sort of electronic gadgetry. He said that it took him a year to change. Now, he couldn’t go back. As we sat and talked he said the best part is, he never forgets a birthday or anniversary anymore because if it’s in the device it reminds him. I need that! As I have said before, my greatest fear is forgetting a wedding I am to perform.
As all this was going through my mind, I started to think of Jesus and His day and His week. He didn’t have the convenience of a day planner. Maybe He wrote on the wall of the carpentry shop. But did they know what day it was? They would all have known when Saturday Synagogue would have been. Don’t think there were many companies around that area printing calendars. In my own thinking I believe their world was much smaller then ours. The cities were smaller and maybe there was a community bulletin board down at the neighbouring well. I can remember back when breaking news was posted as it happened in the front window of the Hamilton Spectator Building on King St. But back to the back then. The ladies went down early morning to get water for the day and, bingo, there were all the announcements of activities for the day posted on the board. Works for me.
In my sermon this past Sunday I talked about the worship of God as something we do 24/7. It doesn’t just happen Sunday at 11 or 10:30 or whenever your church celebrates. Worship of God is a continual thing we all should do as we live out God’s history in our lives. That is a 42/7 thing.
A long time ago I learned a line from a song and it goes like this: “When He was on the cross, I was on His mind” From all of my thinking this morning, and thanks for bearing with me, I think Jesus routine centered on one thing and one thing only, “What am I doing for God today?” What takes up your week?
Something to think about.
Robin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home