Robin's Nest

Monday, November 20, 2017

Moral Compass



I have found that many people who live above Lake Ontario in say, Toronto, become confused about where north is when they drive to Hamilton or beyond. Their frame of reference is the lake. When they find themselves driving down the QEW they look to their left as they go by Grimsby and think that they are looking south out onto the lake when in fact, they are looking north.
This doesn’t happen as often with those people who live below the lake. Don’t know why that is but I can imagine it might have something to do with these individuals having Lake Erie to their south. Go ahead and think that through.
I noticed that in England where large lakes like ours don’t exist, they do it different again. Frame of reference is what this is called. In fact, when I was there for a visit, and asking directions, they didn’t tell me, ‘drive south two miles and turn right’. They told me, ‘drive to the Esso gas station and turn right’. This for me seemed so unusual.
But do you see the point? We all have points of reference that show us which way to go and to even tell us where we are at any given time.
It’s the same in our spiritual lives. We have points of reference there as well. As Christ followers we have the ultimate reference in Christ himself. We also have the bible and all its teaching. We have the disciples and the prophets and the spiritual leaders. They all point us to the one true God. But they also show us were we are in relation to where God is. 
Sometimes I might get confused about my moral compass when I look at the world and what it tries to tell me. But when I look towards God, I discover something very profound. I discover just like the people in Jerusalem, that looked to the light coming from the temple, we find our way to Him. We call our moral compass, a Christian Worldview. Do you know where you are and which direction you are headed?
Something to think about
Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home