Robin's Nest

Monday, May 25, 2009

Can You Give Me A Hand

You ever feel like you won the lottery? You know, won a million dollars? Or as thirteen people on the thirteenth floor of a bank, hit fifty million? Sometimes I feel like that. We all go through life, enjoying the journey. But every once in a while, life hands you a lottery ticket stub and you do the dance.
Well, that has happened to me so many times. But one that really helps is the one that arrives when you realize you can’t do it yourself any more and you need some help. We have that with our garden. Realize that I am not the most organized person on the ship. But I do pretty well. Which means there doesn’t seem to be enough time to do all the yard work that needs to be done.
A long time ago I asked the girls to help with our small yard. Being they were teens, you know what the answer was. Help with the snow? “But it’s cold out there.” My answer would probably have been the same as yours, “Forget it, I’ll do it myself.” Time changes and now, guess who is doing the work at their own home? And guess what their children are saying to them on occasion?
Well, a number of years ago, I hit the jackpot. There was a family with four boys we knew and I thought I would help them with some spending money if they would come over and do some yard work for me. Well, three out of the four came and they did what most teens do, only what they needed to do. It wasn’t long until two of the three stopped coming. One stayed. He not only stayed but he made money and worked all summer. In the course of that year, he did more then just yard work. He listened and learned. He did whatever he was asked and never complained about the work, being tired, getting dirty, or the hours.
Over these last number of years, I pray that coming over, has helped him along in becoming a man of integrity. He shows when he says, gets right to work and does the job, not only to the best of his ability, but he never forgets what he has learned.
Well, I hit the lottery again this year. Last week he emailed to say, school is almost done and could I use some help!! I wrote back right away and said, “NO.” No, I didn’t. I wrote back and said, come on over when you have time. A couple of months ago, he competed in a city wide woodworking competition. He came third. It would be nice to know if it was due to something he learned from me.
Do you know what else? It would be nice to have more like him at church. What’s your answer when God says, “Can you give me a hand?”
Something to think about
Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home