Robin's Nest

Monday, May 18, 2009

Put That Away!

Sometimes I think that I do things opposite to what others do. Last week was the holiday and it was time for most people to get out and do yard work. Not me. I decided it was time to start cleaning up all the things that have been gathering on my, to do list all winter. If the truth were known, the list probably had birthed three years ago. But we won’t go there.
It all started with something I had put down on the counter during the previous week. I had been in too much of a hurry to put it away and now that I noticed it, it was time.
But you know what happens don’t you? One thing leads to another to another to another and before I knew it, I was on to something I had never planned on. Half the day was gone and I still had not put it away. At that point I made a pact with myself, being that no one else would understand, to deal with one thing at a time. Something about the plans of mice and men. But I set the course and started out. Before I knew it, almost as if I was tripped up on the first step, I found there was no longer any room in the drawer to put this ‘thing’. Which lead to the next job, now don’t you be laughing at me. I was determined to do this first thing first. So, what did I do? I took the drawer out of the desk and put it on the counter I had taken the item from and started going through all the ‘stuff’ so I could clear space.
Yes, I know, you figured it out. Found things I had been looking for, for a long time. Which meant they needed to be put away as well and that meant . . . Yes, I was off of number one. It took two hours to sort through and clean out, or is that clear out the drawer so the things that should be in there were in there and the things that shouldn’t be there were ready to go find their real home. But, I HAD put it away! Now, what do I do with the fifty things that are on the counter, where only one lay six hours before? With that thought, I grabbed a box and in it they went.
With a short lived smile, I sat at my desk feeling good about getting the one thing done and out of the way, I was reminded of the words of Paul, “One thing I do, forgetting what is behind, I press on . . . So many things in life get in the way of us doing the one thing God placed us in this world to accomplish. He has called us to be like Christ. Is life getting in the way? Are there too many things that sidetrack you? Remember Paul’s words, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.” How are you doing on getting the one thing done?
Something to think about
Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home