Robin's Nest

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Firsts.

As I sit here at the computer this morning I am awed by the realization that today, of all days, is a day for firsts. Some people will argue that New Years Day is a day of firsts. Not so. Today, that is, Tuesday Sept. 4th, is a day full of firsts. The biggest one is the first day after the end of summer vacation.
For our children it is the excitement of that first day back to school. And we are so happy it has finally arrived. It is also the first day back to school for the teacher. And they are so happy . . . well, maybe. First packed lunch, first time filling the new back pack, first time in new school clothes or uniform. First time on the bus. And where did last year’s driver go? First time in this classroom, First day with the new teacher, new principal at Drumbo Public, ( Welcome to our community) and in this desk and and and. It goes on and on.
But for some it is a scary moment. To the youngest ones, it is the first day away from home and mom or dad. They have no idea what is going to happen on the other side of the door. They may even be new to the area as another first was moving into the new house just four days ago. For these parents it is a new experience, especially watching as their child goes through those doors for the first time. Will they make friends and like their teacher? Mom’s sometime shed a tear and dad’s put on a stoic face. Today is life changing.
It is also, as I alluded to at the first, our first day back to our normal routine. To some this is good and some are sad to see the summer end. But then again, we have firsts as well. As adults we have many firsts to look forward to. The problem is we no longer look at things with expectant eyes. You have heard this quote many times but I will print it again. “I learn something new every day.” Do we? Do we start our day with those words and look for the newness that life presents us? Or are we so dulled by life that we use the other more known line, “Same crap, different day!” It must be how we look at each morning and each opportunity. Our kids look for the adventure. What about us? They look for something they have never seen before. Do we? They are fascinated by the butterfly and chase it. Do we?
Yesterday I had an amazing time visiting with two wonderful friends. I had learned a long time ago that you learn more if you keep one opening in your head closed and two others open. As we sat and talked and listened I noticed something going on just outside the window. Maybe it is my childish exuberance, but I stopped the conversation a number of times to have us all watch the hummingbirds come and enjoy the nectar of the flowers.
I know what you are going to say. “Been there, Done that!” No, you haven’t. Each opportunity is an opportunity to see and experience so many things that are exiting. To see them as if we were seeing it for the first time. How about last week at 5:00 a.m.? Were you there to watch the eclipse of the moon? The answer comes, “No, I will try to catch it next February.” But will you have next February?
As you would expect, I also look for firsts with God. Each day as I open His word, I come to it expecting to see something for the first time. And I do. I go to church each Sunday excited about letting God know I worship Him. He replies to me, “Did you get that?” What an amazing world He put us in. All we need to do is look for more firsts then we could ever conceive are there. He puts them there, but we just have to open our eyes to see them.
What first are you going to see today?
Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home