Robin's Nest

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Who Is Hidding?


This past Sunday we had a celebration at our church. It was a celebration of God being in a person’s life in a significant way. We had a baptism. Vicki Hick was here visiting her family and had asked to be baptized in the church that started her on her faith journey of life. What an amazing day. It was not only great to see her but to hear what she had to say about the impact this church had on her early life. Thank you Vicki for sharing with us and allowing us the privilege of worshiping God in this very unique way.
In a few days we will be celebrating Father’s Day. Not as exciting and fanfarish, if there is such a word, as Mother’s Day but some special day non-the-less. As a father, the greatest gift I can receive is a day that I choose what to do. We men don’t get this often but this year will be different, or so I tell myself. Give me an hour on the motorcycle or some quiet time outside on the deck watching the goldfinch come and go. I don’t need anything nor do I want anything. If I did, I would go and buy it. So, no, don’t ask me what I want unless it is for everyone to disappear for those few moments.
Disappearing is good. Last Friday I had the wonderful opportunity to watch one of our granddaughters. Their parents were off somewhere and they needed someone to rescue them. Of course I had to go and pick her up and get her things and and and. You know the drill. The drive home was a nonstop monolog. She told me about this and that. She shared about her latest doll, stuffed animals or whatever. I think she has 2384 and has them all named and doesn’t forget one of them. Just on and on and on. I didn’t have to think of what to say or what to ask or any of that stuff that is part of a normal conversation. What a delight to listen and get all the pertinent information that a grandpa needs to know today.
Our grandchildren love our home, not just because of its size, but because of all the places to explore. After all, they know every hiding place at home and in their neighborhood. And so began a six-hour marathon of doing, seeing, experimenting and exploring. In between there was even room for ordinary things. Things like, Hide and Seek. This is where the disappearing comes in. She wanted to hide first. Sure, no problem. Of course she had to read the riot act. Not bad for a six-year-old. “This is how you count, this is the number you go to. Don’t forget to close your eyes” It was almost to the point that the instructions were going to last longer then the game.
So I started; “One, to Ten.” “Grandpa, that’s not how to do it!” Okay, and I counted very fast and arrived at ten before she took three steps. “Grandpa, that’s not how to do it!” The best part, I didn’t have to get off the chair. Finally I got it right and found her without getting off the chair. I like this game. Sadly, that was the end of the game and she went off to the next expedition. She found the crayons and decided to colour a picture of grandpa sleeping on the couch. As I watched this precious life, if felt as if, just for a moment, life stopped. Lauren stopped and I just looked at the beauty that God has created in her, in each one of us.
God doesn’t play Hide and Seek. What he does is just waits right in front of each of us saying. “Seek and you will find”, “Those who seek Me will find Me.” God patiently waits for us to find Him. A long time ago someone said they couldn’t find God. We all asked him if he was really looking for Him. Have you found Him? He isn’t hiding. You’re may just be looking in the wrong places.
Happy Father’s Day!
Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home