Robin's Nest

Monday, June 18, 2007

First Day of Your Summer


There is within our world a group of people who are really looking forward to this coming Thursday. Unlike the Druids, it has nothing to do with the celebration of Summer Solstice. Summer Solstice as many of you know is the celebration of the midpoint of the growing season in much of Europe. For us here in this area, it arrives at 2:06pm June 21st. So, what’s so great about Thursday? Well it is the day that has the greatest amount of sunlight for all of us here in the Northern Hemisphere. The group looking forward are those who suffer from SAD and think it is the best day of the year. And here you thought I was going to get all ecclesiastical on you.
All kidding aside, we meet the first day of summer thinking about all that is right with life. It has something to do with how we understand the seasons of life. The sun is high, the crops in the field are reaching ever taller and our children will be out of school soon. At times like this we take it all in. We want to experience things and do things. Our energy is up and our expectations are great. Life is Good! Maybe this is why we place so much significance to this time of year. Most people travel and go on vacation during these months. I don’t know if it is true but I would guess summer has fewer trips to the hospital (except accidents) then during the rest of the year. We also see more weddings in June then any other month of the year. Something to do a long ago tradition that May was the wedding month of the Gods and couples waited impatiently until June. Sounds dumb to me to.
Summer is also the time to throw off the conventional. To rid ourselves, if just for a time, of the routines that stifle us. I am reminded of what our schools do to our children. Before we send your child off to that first day of school, we can entertain them with a table, some paper and crayons. And what do you get? Creativity. You might even see them forsake the table and get down on the floor and put their whole being into the creation of beautiful artwork. Forget about colouring books, just give them paper. Who cares if you have to ask what it is? I have here in my office a picture that I personally drew in kindergarten. My mom kept it all those years. At the bottom of the page are the teacher’s words telling us today what I drew so long ago. I probably had to tell her. When children get to school, we then tell them to draw inside the lines. Why? So they can conform? So they can draw our concept of a great drawing?
Thirteen years later, when I first arrived at the university, I was told to think outside the box. In fact it became one of our societies catch phrases. At the time, I didn’t know how. It took me a while. And this coming from a child whose mother always said, “Robin, you march to a different drummer.” If you have heard me preach, you know what I am saying. And to all those who suffer through them, I apologize for the suffering you endure. No I don’t. God made me who I am. He made you who you are and in doing so He created this amazing person. So this coming Thursday, on that all important first day of summer, colour outside the lines, move beyond conformity. It is just one day to enjoy all that life gives to us. And don’t walk alone. Take someone along for the ride.
During my life thus far, I have journeyed with many people. It has been a great walk. But it could never have been so great if I had not taken along my best friend, Jesus.
“And He walks with me and He talks with me.
And He tells me I am His own;
And the joy we share as we tarry there,
None other has ever known”.
Today is summer. Have a great one! Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home