Robin's Nest

Monday, July 29, 2019

It's Not On YouTube


Have you ever wanted to do something so badly but didn’t know where to go to learn how to do it?  In our electronic age, some of this learning stuff can be found at the click of a mouse. We did just that the other week when we had to fix the riding lawnmower.

Back when I was much younger, and into old cars, I decided that I wanted to purchase a wonderful kind car I really liked. A search of the sale ads in the paper, lead me to a very nice car that fit the bill. (If you want to know what the car was, click on 'reply' or send me an email and I will let you know). It was exciting to go and look at it and listen to the seller.  He was a doctor who had purchased the car three years earlier. It needed work and he decided that he was going to learn the skills to do it himself. Thinks like welding, bodywork and even learned upholstery and engine work. I was so impressed with his finished product, I bought it right there and then.

There are still many other skills like the doctor developed that take time and effort. You can’t just do a YouTube search and start doing working away and be good at it. It takes doing something over and over until you develop the skills. When I worked at Ford, they taught us how to take dents out on a painted car so they didn’t have to repaint the car. We didn’t learn it in one day, it took weeks of continuous repetitive work to perfect the skill.

I believe it’s the same about being a Christ Follower.  Yes, our Christian life starts at one moment in time. But the spiritual journey takes time and effort, it takes reading and praying and worshiping and being with others who have been down the road a long time before we came along. Through all those many, many years of training, teaching, and learning, we finally get good, but not great as Paul told us about his own journey in our bibles. We get good, when we finally recognize that God is the instructor of our training.  

Something to think about

Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home