Robin's Nest

Monday, January 14, 2008

Spring Ride!

Yesterday I went out to the garage and looked at it. I thought to myself, spring is coming! Sure it is, but not of a while. Christmas is coming to but I’m not going to get excited about that for a while. What I was looking at was my motorcycle all tucked in under the cover. We have a little while for the spring thing but so many people are already thinking about it due to the great weather we have had over the last two weeks.
Retailers are great at help us look forward. Two months before Christmas, they are ready. The day after New Years the store had the Christmas stuff down and the Valentine stuff up. And just days later, along came those chocolate bunnies. Don’t worry, I have not purchased one. Yet. Maybe that is part of being human and anticipating. We look forward to all the wonderful things we anticipate in the future.
Now back to life or should I say, back to the ride. Bike people look forward to riding their motorcycles. There is just something about cruising along at speed with the wind in your face and the bugs at the back of your throat. For those of you that know what I mean, you get it. For those who don’t, let me reassure you it has a feeling like no other.
I could do it every day. And as great as it is there are other things to be considered in the drive to arrive alive on two wheels. Some people will tell you the best place to ride is through the country where the roads wind around going up, down, around and through. Yes, ups and downs, as well as detours and diversions. There is gravel to be avoided, other drives to shy away from and potholes that will swallow you in one mouth full.
Riding is much like life. All of our lives are filled with things that take us on those wonderful journeys where we climb hills and suffer through valleys, road work and unexpected gravel roads. The more we go through life the better we get at it. Just like getting better at riding by getting out and going.
Life is a ride that we all enjoy most of the time. When the sun is up and the temperature is good it is amazing. I remember one ride I was on last year. Everything was going well. I stopped at my daughters for a few minutes until the clouds started to roll in. I thought I could make it home before the storm, so off I went. Just over half way home the heavens opened and I found myself sitting under an overpass waiting out the storm. Another image of life. After a while, the rain stopped, and the sun was not too far ahead.
What an amazing reflection of my life. There have been storms in my life and yours. Even though I do not look forward to riding in the rain, I can ride better then before because I have been there. I look forward as you do to what is ahead of us. With all the inconvenience we experience in life, it’s still worth it. So let’s keep enjoying the ride and the company we have on the journey. Spring is on its way. Something to look forward to.
Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home