Robin's Nest

Monday, December 31, 2007


At Gulfview Mall here in Florida, it appeared that all people are the same as all the people everywhere. Doesn't matter what the weather is like, everyone is in a hurry. I used to walk pretty fast years ago but now I wander along watching people speed past me. Dashing here and there or as you might be doing, "Dashing through the snow."
That might be all that we can do right now. Some put this season off until the last minute. This contributes to the insanity. I saw two interesting people at the airport this week. The first was someone doing just that. I would guess they had forgotton something. We all do it from time to time, don't we? It looked as if they were searching for a present to give to someone at the end of their flight. Wonderful gesture but maybe not the best present. It would do. Well, that's what I was thinking.
The other was a young mother with her very young child. At first I watched the baby. Wide awake and doing those child things. So handsome and looked so content. It was wonderful to see. Then I noticed the child's eyes. This little boy was transfixed on it's mommy. There may not have been any verbal communication but those eyes spoke volumes. Then I saw something extraordinary. I saw the face of mommy. It was only when she stood to make her way to the plane that I was able to take my eyes off of her. In that face I saw all that we need to see in this frantic world. A world so filled with strife and terror. Countries so enbroiled in conflict and hatred they have no idea what peace really means. And I wondered what Jesus saw in his mother's face.
I saw in her face what we can not only give to each other but what we need to give ourselves, peace. She exhibited in her face an assurance that all is well with her, her child and the world she lives in. I saw a face radient with love and compasion. This child would never know or remember his Christmas gift this year or even next year but it could recognize the face of his mom. From her face I believe he received peace knowing she was caring for him.
Our society is filled with children who hurt every day because there is no face for them to look to for love, protection or peace. We see them in the mall, we hear them cry for attention and we stand by not knowing what to do.
We need to hear the words of Jesus afresh. He motioned to his deciples and said, "Suffer the little children to come unto me and forbid them not. . ."
Look into the face I looked into and decide that peace on earth starts with our love for those close by. Give them what the world can't give.
In a few short days it will be Christmas Eve. The stores will be closed, the decorations up, and all the gifts will be ready. Out on the street, few cars will pass by. It will be the one and only time this year that our society and world will stop and see what living is all about. This is your gift to you. Take your tea and go off on your own. Stand by the front window. Walk down the drive, Go where no one else is at that moment and be all alone. Then look out and look up. In that moment you will have opportunity to look into the face of God and know true peace. Just like the mom in the airport, who was totally oblivious to me watching, God will indeed look down on you and you will know, Peace!
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year
Robin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home