Robin's Nest

Monday, January 07, 2008

Looking Up - Into His Face


As I sat with our grandchildren these last few weeks, memories of another time drifted into my mind as a fog rolls over the hills and into the valley. I remember the time when I was this child. A time when my grandfather would come over to the house or we would venture over to his home for a visit. He was one of my heros. A real live hero. Not someone from a cartoon or inside the world of cyber space. A real live, flesh and blood, touch me kind of hero. The memory of sitting beside him, just looking up into his face, flooded back as if it was only a few short moments ago.
To me, a four year old, he was the most amazing person I had ever known. I would sit there patiently knowing he would eventually turn to me and I would dance with excitement as I shared my young mind with him. He would turn and say, “Now, Robin, how are you?” Finally there was someone to hear me, listen to me and hold me in my fears and delight in my excitement.
All of this came back to me most vividly over the last few months. It came when I put together my past, the experience of the present and looking forward to heaven. Looking back I realized grandpa was a reflection of something greater. Maybe without knowing it, grandpa was a reflection of the God he worshiped and adored to this young child. His life reflected his heavenly Father, who he himself looked up to.
It gently nudged me out of my complacence when I realized that I may be the same to my grandchildren and all those young minds that so desperately want to connect with a real live, flesh and blood, touch me kind of person.
But what really struck me came with the words of a song sung by the group, Mercy Me.

I can only imagine what it will be like, when I walk by Your side . . .
I can only imagine, what my eyes will see, when Your Face is before me!
I can only imagine. I can only imagine.

Surrounded by Your Glory, what will my heart feel?
Will I dance for you, Jesus? Or in awe of You, be still?
Will I stand in Your presence, or to my knees will I fall?
Will I sing 'Hallelujah!'? Will I be able to speak at all?
I can only imagine! I can only imagine!

We are all that child. Looking up into the face of God our Father we must ask, how will we react on that day when we see Him? What a day that will be!
As our mind races about trying to answer that question we are left in the reality of today. The most important question of all is, do the people who look up into our face, see a reflection of God there? Something to think about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home