Robin's Nest

Monday, March 19, 2007

Just Do It!


Has life passed you by? Are there still things you want to do before you can’t? Do you have mountains you want to climb or rivers you want to cross? Do you have this dream no one knows about? A dream to do something just because?
A few weeks ago I listened to a person talk about what his dream was. He had been pulled from his boat just minutes before it went down somewhere in the Atlantic. It could have ended differently. They asked him why. His answer was disturbing for me, a simple, mild-mannered middle aged predictable fellow who’s most excitement was to drive double the posted speed limit on a motorcycle. He told the reporter it wasn’t the danger it was just something he wanted to do.
I believe each one of us have a deep down want. Something we have always wanted to do and as of today, has not just gone and done it. The lucky ones in this life had done these things. Many of us still have at least one thing we want to still do. Something we have harbored in our souls and only seldom ever mentioned.
I’m not talking about ordinary wants. Like wanting to eat ice cream while on a diet. Most wants are put off due to our schedule. It just doesn’t fit in, or we don’t have the money, can’t take the time off, or a million other reasons. Or is that excuses?
I consider myself fortunate. Most of the things that I have wanted to do, I’ve done. Opportunities have always presented themselves to give me a chance to take the ring and go around a second time. Always wanted to sleep in the Rocky Mountains. As a 15-year-old in army cadets I was chosen, along with ninety-nine other fellows, to live at Banff for four weeks in the summer of 1964. Still have the tee shirt to prove it. Unlike today, when looking for a job way back when, five came along in one week. When the university didn’t accept me, bible college called. Time and time again when all seemed impossible, possibilities came.
All through life, opportunities do present themselves. And again, we make the choices. We decide if this is what we want to do. Notice the word is ‘want’. We weigh the cost and make the decision. In Psalm 37, David writes this, "Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart."
A lifetime ago, I was working in a factory in Hamilton and I had opportunity to pastor a church for a summer. Work, situations, family, finances etc. said it wasn’t to be. I was young and full of fire to be ‘out there’ doing ministry. There were so many things in the way and as hard as I tried, it didn’t seem possible. My supervisor said I could go if it had happened in the company before. Sure enough, it had happened only once. So, for four months I pastored my first church.
Today, I still have wants and desire of things I would like to accomplish before God calls out the kitchen door, "Come home, come home, Its supper time."
Go back to that verse in Psalms. All our wants and wishes start with the first part of the verse, "Delight yourself in the Lord . . . " God wants to grant us our hearts’ desires, but first we need to delight ourselves in Him. Life is not a race to the end but a journey in which we take opportunity to chase our dreams. What are your hearts desire today? What want is burning in your heart? Burning so strongly, that only doing it! would quench the fire? It’s not too late, your still here.
Something to think on.
Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home