Robin's Nest

Monday, August 17, 2020

Don't Go To A Boring Church

Enthusiasm. An ancient Greek word meaning Èn-thos´... | Ancient ...Every time I have gone into a church to bring a word of God’s love and encouragement I have shared something about ‘enthusiasm’. And if you have been to each and every one of these first time moments, you will have heard a different sermon. None were the same as the other with the exception of dealing with en - theos.

If I were to ask, and I did, what comes to mind when you think of enthusiasm? Do you think of the Grey Cup game? This list includes so many other things. Stop for a moment and ask yourself what yours is. Actually, send me an email and let me know what you think of when you see the word enthusiasm. There was a time in my life it meant going to see my girlfriend at the park. Then it was motorcycles and collector cars. The list continued to go on and on as my life evolved into adulthood, and I acquiring some semblance of maturity and wisdom.

What change it all was going to a church that excited my heart in a deeper way. I look to Jesus for fulfillment and He showed up in the services at the Oddfellow's Hall in Wellandport so many years ago. It was there that I got to get excited about going and being enthusiastic about God. Up until that moment I didn’t think enthusiasm and church would ever be used in the same sentence.

Many years later when I would get excited about going to church, I found out where the word comes from and it’s not at a ball park. Simply put, if you look at the word and divide it, it tells you about being excited en theos, or in today's language, excited in God.

Many churches are closing each and every week and I believe it is because en theos is no longer found inside those four walls. We have the most exciting story to tell to the world. How come it comes across as boring? In many cases, the word is missing one part of it. Excitement is gone, God (theos) is gone and even ‘in’ is now out. Didn’t Jesus die and come back to life? What can be more exciting than that.

If you still want to know God, get up on Sunday morning and go find a church where the parking lot is full and walk in and see if enthusiasm is found on the other side of the door.

Something to think about

Rob  

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home