Robin's Nest

Monday, May 18, 2020

What's Normal


I have a question for all of you. You can write me back with your answer if you would like. Here goes. ‘What is normal?’ Lots of people are talking about getting back to normal. What does that really mean? If normal means doing anything and everything, I have some misgivings about that.
On the other hand, if they mean normal to be doing things that entertain, or to go and be part of a crowd that watches something, sometimes it’s true and sometimes not. Well, in my mind it is. Or, how about the normal meaning doing things that are necessary to get through life unscathed.
My problem with this is, I have questions on what people think are vital & necessary. Do we need to watch a cricket match? Yes, they are entertaining, but vital? Then there is getting out dog groomed? You get the idea and make a list of thousands of other activities. Which has me thinking about what we consider a necessary activity.  
A long time ago someone said that we can and should, under God, do anything we want with one important exception. It reads this way: “Do anything you want as long as it doesn’t hurt anyone.” That is actually what God said to us in the Bible when He told us to Love our neighbour as ourselves.
We need to do things that, first of all, don’t hurt us. Secondly, we don’t do things that would hurt others.  And lastly and most importantly, we only need to do things that don’t hurt God Himself. So, what’s normal? I believe it’s what we are doing now. And I say this after my wife gave me a haircut with my face mask on and wearing my baseball cap that reads, “God Gives HOPE”
Something to think about.
Robin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home